||By Valerie Bennis
For over 20 years I have been committed to a healthy lifestyle and have been fascinated by the world of natural healing. It is amazing to me all the healthy l alternatives there are that assist us in maintaining and obtaining an optimum level of wellness. Each day, I incorporate a variety of self care rituals and I would love to share them with you. I credit them with keeping me youthful, happy and healthy.
Dry Brush Ritual
Monday Morning Dry Brushing Ritual (Dry Brush Directions Provided by Dr. Denice Moffat)
Upon arising, before you get into your shower, dry brush your skin. To dry brush, use a soft natural fiber brush with a long handle, so that you are able to reach all areas of your body. A loofah sponge or a rough towel can also be used. Most nylon and synthetic fiber brushes are too sharp and may damage skin although a softer bath brush with nylon bristles seems to do the trick. The important thing is to find something that is just right for your skin. Once your skin becomes “seasoned,” you can switch to a coarser brush.
Tips and Tricks for Dry Brushing:
- Always dry brush your dry and naked body before you shower or bathe because you will want to wash off the impurities from the skin as a result from the brushing action.
- You can do the brushing head-to-toe or toe-to-head. It really doesn’t matter as long as the entire body is brushed. Long sweeping strokes starting from the bottom of your feet upwards, and from the hands towards the shoulders, and on the torso in an upward direction help drain the lymph back to your heart.
Note: Stroking away from your heart puts extra pressure on the valves within the veins and lymph vessels and can cause ruptured vessels and varicose veins.
- Use light pressure in areas where the skin is thin and harder pressure on places like the soles of the feet.
- Skin brushing should be performed once a day, preferably first thing in the morning. A thorough skin brushing takes about 15 minutes, but any time spent brushing prior to bathing will benefit the body. If you are feeling ill, increasing the treatments to twice a day is good. You can also dry brush areas of cellulite five to 10 minutes twice a day to achieve cellulite dissolving but the technique needs to be done consistently for a minimum of five months.
- Avoid sensitive areas and anywhere the skin is broken such as areas of skin rash, wounds, cuts, and infections. Also, never brush an area affected by poison oak or poison ivy.
- Finish up with your regular shower and ending with three hot and cold cycles. That means turning on the water as hot as you can take it for several seconds, then as cold as you can handle it, then hot, then cold for three cycles. End with either hot or cold. This will further invigorate the skin and stimulate blood circulation, bringing more blood to the outer layers of the skin.
Any well designed program will take about 30 days to see and experience the changes. Please be patient and keep up the program!
For a thorough lymphatic cleansing, perform skin brushing daily for a minimum of three months.
Once you have completed your dry skin brushing, give yourself a massage with oil. I personally use Essence of Vali massage & bath oil (the brand I created) with jojoba and essential oils. You can even massage your scalp and face. Let the oil soak in for a few minutes before stepping into the shower.
There are many benefits to dry skin brushing included tightening the skin, removing cellulite, toning the muscles. It is a wonderful health and beauty regime to incorporate each day!
Cart is empty
Spa Gift Cards
Spa Shop Specials
Copyright © 2008-2013 mySpaShop.