|By Carole Tessier|
It wasn’t that long ago that environmentalists were seen as a small unique group of granola-eating hippies. My, how things have changed. Nowadays, it’s increasingly uncommon to find anyone, or any company, who isn’t environmentally conscious. Even beauty has gone green!
Beauty Gone Green!
Cosmetic companies are now making their way into environmentally conscious beauty by offering green alternatives to those who prefer to beautify themselves in an eco-conscious way. It is now possible to look and feel eco-fabulous by incorporating environmentally-friendly actions into your beauty routine - as well as green products into your cosmetic bags.
Support positive environmental change with these top 10 green tips:
1. Seek out products with minimal packaging or biodegradable and botanical packaging such as boxes embedded with seeds which you can plant in your garden, as well as lipstick tubes made out of polyactic acid (a corn-based material).
2. Put your best face forward with organic, chemical-free, synthetic-free products. Avoid synthetic or petroleum derived ingredients, artificial fragrances, parabens, dyes, flavors, petrolatum, phtalates and preservatives.
3. Support companies with green business practices such as printing with eco-friendly soy-based ink or using renewable energy sources.
4. Before purchasing your beauty products, look for the USDA label. In order to be labeled “organic”, all valid certifying agencies must comply with USDA standards.
5. Use multi-use products such as color that can go on eyes, cheeks and lips.
6. Choose nail polishes that are free of dibutyl phthalate (a chemical banned by the European Union).
7. Apply your makeup with your fingers and avoid using cotton swabs and disposable sponges.
8. Save water by skipping a wash or limiting your shower time. And don’t forget to turn the water off while you’re scrubbing your face or brushing your teeth over the sink.
9. Save energy by unplugging all of your beauty tools after you've finished using them (they still zap electricity when turned off). And limit the use of a hairdryer or curling implements. Try letting your hair air dry or curling your hair with Velcro rollers.
10. Buy in bulk. Most beauty products can be purchased in large sizes. Not only will you save money, but it also cuts down on the amount of packaging.