Healthy minds and healthy bodies go hand-in-hand. We should encourage girls to develop healthy habits of making and eating delicious foods that are made from local, seasonal, and fresh ingredients. Using the same ingredients, we can also show young ladies how to whip-up soothing, smoothing, and healthy homemade spa treatments. The good foods they put into their bodies matters as much as the good foods they put onto their bodies!
Tweens and teens are crazy about spa themes. However, marketing, encouraging, and promoting young girls to enter the arena of waxed brows and fake nails before they reach the age of sixteen is simply unthinkable to me. Instead let’s introduce and promote some good old-fashioned homemade fun with a trendy twist! “Spa-ing” takes on a whole new meaning when you actively involve kids in the preparation of making healthy eats and spa treats. What girl wouldn’t enjoy sipping on a glass of Spa-Tee-Dah Pink Limeade and nibbling on some Fruit Sushi while she is using her very own homemade Sweet Princess Sugar Scrub or smoothing her feet with a heavenly scented Pink Peppermint Foot Glow?
There’s nothing better than cooking-up some fun in your kitchen with precious friends and family. The added bonus is being able to enjoy the fruits of your labor by sharing a peaceful and relaxing spa day in your own home with the ones you love. It’s an educational and unique way to earn a badge for a Scout troop, a super cool birthday party theme, and I can’t think of a more wonderful way to spend a day with your mother!
All recipes are from The Spa Princess Cookbook by Barbara Beery
Gibbs Smith, Publisher
3/4 cup lime juice
1 cup sugar
2 liters lemon lime soda, chilled
1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice or Grenadine syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 maraschino cherries with stems
2 limes, sliced into 8 slices
Let’s start mixing!
1) In a pinch bowl, combine lime juice and sugar. Stir to blend and completely dissolve sugar.
2) Stir in soda and cherry juice or grenadine syrup, and vanilla extract. Add 3-4 cups of crushed ice and serve immediately
3) Garnish each serving with a maraschino cherry and a lime slice.
½ cup uncooked white rice
Fat free milk
3 tablespoons canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Assorted fresh seasonal fruits
½ cup honey combined with ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Let’s Start Rolling!
1) Cook rice according to package directions substituting milk for water and eliminating salt.
2) Remove cooked rice from heat and place in bowl. Add 3 tablespoons coconut milk, light brown sugar, and ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon Stir to blend.
3) Cover and store in refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
4) Remove from refrigerator to assemble sushi rolls. Dampen hands with a splash of water to keep rice from sticking. Take 2 tablespoons of rice and form into a sushi roll with the palms of your hands. Put rolls on serving dish.
5) Top each roll with assorted fruits and drizzle with honey
Fruity sushi is a cutie!
Sweet Princess Sugar Scrub
Makes about 1 ½ cups
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
Small amount of pink paste food coloring
Let’s Start Mixing!
1) Stir the sugar, honey, vanilla, and almond extract together in a medium mixing bowl. Dip the end of a toothpick into the paste food coloring and add to mixture and stir to blend.
2) Use a tablespoon or two of sugar scrub on your feet and hands smooth and soothe. Rinse well with warm water and apply your favorite lotion.
A sweet treat for you hands and feet!
Pink Peppermint Foot and Toe Glow
Makes 2 cups
1/2 cups fresh mint leaves, crushed
1 cup strawberry yogurt
½ cup honey
Let’s start stirring!
1) Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and place in freezer for 10 minutes. Remove and blend with a whisk until mixture is smooth and creamy.
2) Using a small spatula, smooth generously over you feet. Place each foot in a plastic bag and sit back and relax.
3) After 15 minutes, rinse off with warm water.
A mint treat that brings a glow to your feet!